Tuesday, August 18, 2009

7-23 Nha Trang to Saigon

My motorbike taxi that drove me around the day before had offered me a great price for a ride to the airport, so I accepted. The 1hr ride out there was pretty nice, which made me a bit jealous of Chris and his motorcycle adventure. I was in Saigon by 1pm and headed to the backpacker area in the center of town along Pham Ngu Lao road. After touring 5 guesthouses, I settled on the Phong Hotel and negotiated $12/night for my 2 night stay. I planned out my next day, which unfortunately is my only day in Saigon. Chris hadn't emailed me yet, so I had no idea if he made it to Saigon or not. I spent three hours wandering the city streets. You can tell there's a lot more money in Saigon than up North. In the downtown, there's high-end hotels and fine dining filled with businessman, most of them international out-of-towners on biz trips. The traffic here is absolutely crazy. Literally millions of scooters and many cars flood the streets. There is the occasional traffic light in a few key busy downtown intersections, but it still gives the impression that there are no rules, no enforcement, and a constant battle to get anywhere in one piece. Every trip downtown is an adventure. Renting a scooter in this city would be a really dumb idea! Scooter taxis are on nearly every corner & are only $1 per ride to most places around the city. As a tourist, there's no benefit to having your own bike. After wandering a few hours spanning a few miles, I came across Wayne's Texas BBQ. I couldn't pass it up, even with full knowledge that it couldn't possibly be any good. I was shocked when I sank my teeth into a delicious smoked pulled pork sandwich. The quesadillas were pretty darn good too. I slept well that night, getting much needed rest for a busy day of sightseeing ahead.





No comments:

Post a Comment